Thursday, July 8, 2010

Helping with High School - A Regular Feature

During the middle school years, we did not use a calculator to do  math.  I had reviewed the pros and cons of using a calculator and had made the decision to hold off until we had learned to calculate percentages and to do long division manually.  I guess after making this decision life kicked in, because about a month into 9th grade, I picked up our algebra text and it said, “Using a graphing calculator…”  Oops!   Frantically, I began researching graphing calculators and this is what I learned:

Only some models are approved for use during the SAT, PSAT, ACT, AP and CLEP.   A good graphing calculator seems to cost about $100 so if you begin your research early, you might be able to save some money by finding a used model either on EBay or on sites such as used calculators  or sellcalculators.  Hundreds of Amazon.com customers have reviewed the Texas Instrument calculators, and I relied on many of these reviews  to make my decision.  We bought the TI-84 Plus – The Silver Edition which, as my husband says, seems to do everything but tie my son’s shoes.   If I could do it over again, I would buy the calculator earlier so 1) we could save a few bucks by shopping around; and 2) we could practice using it before we actually needed it.  Mathbits and Texas Instruments have tutorials that we found helpful.  

If an expensive graphing calculator isn’t in the budget or if you want to take more time to do your research, there are some free online graphing calculators. As an example, check out Coolmath.  Eventually, though, I would think you would want your child to learn graphing on the calculator that he or she can bring to the exams.  It is my understanding that laptops would not be allowed during an exam.

I found these articles at Classbrain and CollegeBoard helpful.

So, armed with our graphing calculator, a protractor, a compass, a straightedge and a ruler, we are ready for geometry -  I think.  If you know of something I have overlooked or have anything to add, I would appreciate hearing from you.

Signed,

a mathematically-challenged homeschooler that is flabbergasted she survived 1 A.M. algebra sessions and is even more astonished that she is actually looking forward to geometry.

Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."   Matthew 19:26 (NIV)

1 comment:

  1. It might be worth trying to time buying one to the back to school sales. Most of the big office supply stores carry a couple versions and have teacher rewards or discount programs that homeschoolers are eligible for. My favorite are the discounts on anything you can fit into a new backpack or a bag from the store.

    ReplyDelete